Google just announced that you can upload any file and store it in Google Docs
. For anyone who's asked "What do you do at Google?" this project is the answer.
Among other things, this service will let me
- back up all the papers I wrote and projects I did in school (in case I drop my hard drive again)
- upload a file at home if I need to print it at work or at Kinkos
- share a folder of images with my brother and mom while we work on a website design
- make a Creative Commons GIMP file, share it with the world, and upload some improvements people make
- stick a DMG with a hard-to-find old program so I can install it whenever I get a new computer
- upload a bunch of photos from a private event and share them with the folks who attended
… all without wasting people's email quota by attaching large files. (Note: This feature will be available to your user some time between an hour and a half ago and next week or so.)
When you put it like that, "I work on the documents list for Google Docs
" sounds pretty exciting. I'm part of this new "It's all in the cloud" world!